Saturday, July 12, 2014

My First Fairies

Luna: My First Fairy


 

Sculpted of metallic silver polymer clay about 12 to 14 years ago (1999 or 2000).  I do apologize, the pictures are so poor, but at the time I had no knowledge of and gave no attention to image quality and I am just grateful to have found these pictures of her on an old hard drive.
 
     
20130928-222834.jpg20130928-222724.jpg

She was lumpy, bumpy, anatomically disproportioned, and her facial features were, to say the least, homely. Her hair and wings were from white feathers. Her dress was made of a white satin slipper, she held a large round white pearlescent bead in her hand to represent the moon, and sported rhinestones for eyes. I suspended her from silver thread so she looked as if she were flying.  I have no idea what happened to her. I regret not saving her and am grateful to have discovered even these poor photographs. I continue to hope I will locate her eventually in some old boxes or at least run across some better pictures someday.
 
 

I believe in Fairies…I do….I do believe in Fairies.~ Peter Pan


I started making fairy figurines about 12 years ago. After Luna, the moon fairy,  my second fairy sculpted approximately 6 years ago was Verda an artsy garden fairy, she was created from glue sticks and fabric to be a model for a painting that was forming in my head.
.


Verda: a tree fairy


20130929-020101.jpg           20130929-020117.jpg

20130929-020132.jpg


The  Artist
 
Since that time I have created approximately a dozen more fairies, a tree house habitat for them, and am developing a fairytale with my fairies as the characters. I have always loved dolls and reading. People who know me say I’ll read anything, but some of my favorite genres are fantasies, fables, myths, and magic. Making fairy figures brings all my artistic interests together, painting, sculpting, fashion, sewing, doll collecting, reading and writing, I’ve even taken jewelry making and pottery classes in art school and plan to incorporate those skills once I’m comfortable with the quality of my dolls.
 
 
Billie Carter
Painter /Doll Artist
 
Avondale, AZ 85392
www.billiesdesignsstudio.blogspot.com
artsynesse@gmail.com
 
 
 
EDUCATION:
2004-2007 Tempe, Arizona;
Bachelor of Fine Arts:
Painting Major, with honors
 
 
 
Herberger School of Fine Art:
Arizona State University
 
SKILLS
Painting and Illustration:
Oils, Water Color, Mixed-Media
Sculpture -Wheel Throwing, Hand Building
Jewelry – Metals
Computer Graphics
Digital Drawing/Painting
Fashion Illustration, Fabic Arts
Self-taught Doll Artist

No comments:

Post a Comment